Breaking News:

So Much Sports Baltimore has officially shut down on August 7, 2017, but would like to thank all of our readers, writers and everybody who helped make this website possible.

Hounds battle Hoyas for 11-10 victory

By: Jenna Pizzi

Loyola junior midfielder Jay
Drapeau scored a career-high three goals against Georgetown, two in a second half comeback run.

With less than two minutes left in the game and the 30-second shot clock on, Pat Spencer worked to the crease, drew a defender, and dished to the open Alex McGovern. The sophomore transfer then scored to give the Loyola Greyhounds men’s lacrosse team the goal they needed for the win against a tough Georgetown Hoyas team. The goal was crucial for the Greyhounds as it helped them withstand one last Hoyas goal about 30 seconds later.

Though Loyola won the ensuing faceoff, a turnover with 20 seconds remaining gave the Hoyas one final opportunity to tie the game, but an offsides call gave the Greyhounds the ball back and secured their 11-10 victory, improving their overall record to 5-3.

Spencer’s assist to McGovern was his fifth of the game and with two goals of his own, he was the key for Loyola breaking through against the Hoyas’ brick wall in goal. Georgetown goalkeeper Nick Marrocco made 17 saves in the game to keep the Greyhounds from ever pulling away.

“The [Georgetown] goalie kept playing. He wasn’t going to allow it to be an easy day,” Loyola head coach Charley Toomey said. “I give him a lot of credit.”

Spencer and Jay Drapeau, who finished the game with a career-high three goals, respectively scored the first two goals of the game inside two minutes and Mike Perkins made it a 3-0 Loyola lead with another Greyhounds score in the 11th minute of the game, but those saves by Marrocco kept Loyola from pulling away, even despite seven first quarter Hoya turnovers constantly giving the Greyhounds extra possessions.

It took Georgetown nearly 12 minutes before they finally got on the board with a Peter Conley goal, but with seven seconds left before the end of the first period, Spencer scored his second goal to make it a 4-1 game.

While Georgetown still had four turnovers in the second quarter, they weren’t as costly and with Marrocco still making big stops the Hoyas opened the second period with a 4-1 run to tie the game at 5-5.

Craig Berge scored a man-up goal for Georgetown just 52 seconds into the second quarter. Then in response to a Brian Sherlock goal, Georgetown scored three in a row. Their first two came just 45 seconds apart from each other and both Jake Carraway and Conley were found wide open near the next and finished with low, corner goals.

After Conley’s, Toomey pulled starting Loyola goalkeeper Jacob Stover and replace him with Grant Limone. Stover lasted just over 18 minutes and made only one save while allowing four scores.

Toomey said he doesn’t “want any goalie thinking they’re on a short leash,” when it comes to the sudden change. “We just have to win a home game.”

Limone fared better than Stover, finishing the game with seven saves in just over 41 minutes, but he didn’t stop the run immediately. With 7:20 remaining in the first half Daniel Bucaro beat Limone with another low-angles goal to make it a 5-5 game. An ensuing faceoff victory by Graham Savio did, however, lead to the end of the Hoya run. After Savio picked up the ball the Hounds quickly got the ball up the field and Zack Sirico dished to Ryan Fournier in space near the goal. He fired one-on-one against Marrocco and scored to give Loyola a lead back. That lead was doubled when Sirico assisted John Duffy for his 10th goal of the season with 2:49 left in the first half. The 7-5 scoreline held up to halftime.

Loyola was not able to carry the momentum through halftime, however. Instead, Georgetown scored the first three goals of the second half. The first two came from Devon Lewis while Bucaro, who assisted Lewis’ first score, netted the third to give the Hoyas an 8-7 lead with 10:03 remaining in the third quarter.

But that was the only lead Georgetown would have. Eventually, Loyola figured out how to get past Marrocco. In the second half, he only had four saves and just one in the fourth quarter. Drapeau beat him twice to spark a 3-0 Loyola lead that gave them the lead back at the midway point of the final quarter. Drapeau’s second goal of the game came with 95 seconds left in the third quarter and his second game with 8:57 left in the fourth. Spencer fished off to Peter Swindell just over a minute later to help the Hounds to a 10-8 lead.

“He made a couple good saves low so we started testing him high and started trying him in different spots and different locations on the field,” Drapeau said. “Just basically move him around and get him uncomfortable.”

Drapaeu’s first goal was set up by Spencer. Spencer showcased his field vision as he was able to find a window to Drapeau, who caught the pass, ran along the crease for an opening high in the goal. The second one, Drapaeu collected a loose ball and then beat Marrocco from the right side.

Even the third goal was a great example of moving the Hoya goalkeeper around. Spencer came around from behind the goal to the left side, slide a ball over to Swindell, and he quickly finished from the right side.

The Hoyas still kept battling. A minute later, Conley got his third assists to go with his two goals when he fed Bucaro, who completed his hat trick. Limone came up with a key save to turn down a Hoya attempt to tie the game and a bit later Zac Davliakos caused a turnover that allowed Loyola to run time off the clock before McGovern’s game-winning goal. The Hoyas still had a chance to force overtime, but the Hounds held on for the victory.

“I was proud that we were able to battle back, that we were able to see the adversity, face it, roll our necks and then gut out a win and that’s exactly what happened today,” Toomey said.

Toomey then said the focus now is to turn back into conference play as they will travel to Bucknell on Saturday for a 1 pm start.

“Short preparation for a league game,” Toomey said, “but Bucknell versus Loyola has always been a fun game.”

The following two tabs change content below.

Jenna Pizzi

Staff Writer
There has not been one moment in Jenna's life where she was not part of a team. From the age of single digits until high school, soccer became her center. Other sports were attempted, but nothing was as fulfilling as her defending the net or assisting a goal with a wide pass. During her high school days of soccer and track, she was a writer for the school newspaper, covering sports. High School was here her interest in basketball peaked, which is still a favorite of hers. In contrast, her father is a football fan, who watched each game religiously. Her inherited this trait from his mother, who is a Yankees fanatic. To continue the family passion, Jenna is currently a sports writer, both for The Greyhound at Loyola University of Maryland and now at So Much Sports.

Comments are closed.