Breaking News:

So Much Sports Baltimore has officially shut down on August 7, 2017, but would like to thank all of our readers, writers and everybody who helped make this website possible.

Slow start against Hens sinks Towson

By: Myles Nelson


A slow start sunk the Towson men’s lacrosse team and led to their first CAA loss of the season. Towson fell behind 3-0 in the first 13 minutes and never recovered as they lost to Delaware, 10-7, dropping them to 10-2 on the year.

Six seconds into the game, Delaware scored. Jake Hervada won the opening faceoff, picked up the groundball, and took off towards the goal for the first score of the game. Hervada would win the next two faceoffs, and they both led to points. The second goal was scored by Paul Major, with an assist from Joe Eisele. Major would score the next goal unassisted.

“They came out ready to play, that was evident. To open up the game with a quick faceoff goal, which started off the awful play from us, and it continued on for the next fifty nine and a half minutes,” Towson coach Shawn Nadelen said.

After a timeout, Towson switched from Alec Burckley to Steve Stillwell for faceoffs. Stillwell won at the X, giving Towson their first offensive possession of the game. Delaware’s Austin Haynes would pick up a slashing penalty, giving Towson an extra man opportunity. The Tigers took advantage of the opportunity. Ian Kirby scored after receiving the pass from Ryan Drenner. Delaware would come right back with a score of their own, this time by Andrew Romagnoli, after a Towson turnover. Jon Mazza would get Towson on the board again after a failed clear attempt by Delaware. Towson trailed 5-2 after the first quarter.

With 11:10 left in the second quarter, Delaware pushed their lead to four, as Major secured a hat trick. Towson kept coming. Mazza scored again with under five minutes left in the half to narrow the gap to 3. Then with under two minutes left Mike Lynch scored his 10th goal of the season to bring Delaware’s lead to two. The score at the half was, 6-4.

Defense seemed to be the theme of the third quarter. With four minutes left in the quarter, neither team had scored. Towson had opportunities. One possession ended with a shot clock violation. Another goal was waved off due to a crease violation. With 2:22 left in the quarter, Jake Levine scored for Delaware. The score came after a save by Parker Ferrigan. There was eight seconds left in the quarter when Major scored his fourth goal of the game, on a low shot, that was just out of Tyler White’s reach.

After coming as close as two points, Towson entered the fourth quarter down by four. Delaware would score again, thanks to Steve DeLargy. After that Drenner scored twice for Towson bringing the lead back to three. For the second time this season, Towson allowed an opponent to score double digits. DeLargy gave Delaware their 10th point, and the lead was extended to four again. With 2:06 left in regulation Joe Seider scored the last point of the game for the Tigers, on an assist from Spencer Parks.

The usually potent Tiger offense just never showed up today. They get another shot next Saturday at home against Fairfield. It’ll be senior day, as well as a major CAA matchup. Fairfield’s Stags are currently 3-0 in conference play. A victory would be big for Towson’s chances of winning the CAA. Faceoff is set for noon at Johnny Unitas Stadium.

The following two tabs change content below.

Myles Nelson

Latest posts by Myles Nelson (see all)

Comments are closed.