Breaking News:

So Much Sports Baltimore has officially shut down on August 7, 2017, but would like to thank all of our readers, writers and everybody who helped make this website possible.

Hounds stumble at BU, but still control destiny

Zack Sirico led Loyola with seven points on four goals and three assists.

Despite suffering a mild 12-11 upset loss at Boston University on Saturday, the Loyola Greyhounds men’s lacrosse team still control their own destiny when it comes to the Patriot League tournament. The Greyhounds ate 5-2 in League play now, but with the Army Black Knights suffering a surprise loss at Navy on Saturday, the winner of the Loyola – Army clash in West Point next week will host the semifinals and championship game in the Patriot League tournament as the No. 1 seed.

Despite a 7-1 run giving the Loyola Greyhounds a 7-4 lead towards the end of the third quarter, the Terriers were able to rally to get a late 11-10 lead.

Still, the Greyhounds weren’t done. Alex McGovern tied the game with just 2:11 remaining in the game on an unassisted strike. That forced overtime, but just over a minute into the extra session, James Burr lifted the Terriers to victory with a low shot from the left wing.

Loyola outshot Boston U 33-30 and was 16-for-17 in clears in the game, but the Terriers used a 17-10 faceoff advantage and 32-26 ground ball advantage to prevent the Greyhounds from ever pulling away.

Zack Sirico led Loyola with seven points on four goals and three assists while Jay Drapeau scored three goals. Defensively, the Greyhounds caused eight turnovers, but Boston U didn’t hurt themselves as they only had 13 total turnovers in the game.

Jack Wilson, Brendan Homire, and Cal Dearth helped Boston U to a 3-0 lead just nine minutes into the game before Drapeau sparked a four-goal Loyola run. Sirico followed him with two more goals to tie the game at 3-3 at the end of the first quarter. Then, Sirico fed Brian Sherlock a minute and a half into the second quarter to put Loyola up.

Cal Dearth re-tied the game with 10:46 left but Loyola seemed to take control after they scored three in a row. Drapeau and Romar Dennis put Loyola up 6-4 at halftime and the third Greyhounds goal came from Drapeau with the 30-second shot clock on late in the third quarter.

Burr ended the Loyola run and a 23-minute Terrier scoring drought but just nine seconds later Sirico scored a quick goal to re-establish Loyola’s three-goal lead with 2:04 left in the third quarter.

But the Terriers went 2-for-1 the rest of regulation to make up for the deficit before their game-winning goal in overtime.

Loyola’s regular-season finale against Army will be next Friday at 7 pm.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Latest posts by Corey Johns (see all)

Comments are closed.