Breaking News:

So Much Sports Baltimore has officially shut down on August 7, 2017, but would like to thank all of our readers, writers and everybody who helped make this website possible.

Hounds beat Navy with McKenzie’s 2OT goal


Finally, the Loyola women’s soccer team slayed the beast.

Casey McKenzie took a Jourdan Ziff pass, ran past her defender and finished low into the left post from 16 yards out to lift the Greyhounds past the Midshipmen 2-1 in overtime at Ridley Athletic Complex on Saturday night. The victory snapped an eight-game unbeaten streak by the Mids in the series and kept the Greyhounds unbeaten through two conference games and improved their overall record to 5-2-2.

“The last couple of years we’ve been very close with Navy in terms of that three-four spot (in the Patriot League tournament seeding), so for us to get the win tonight is hopefully going to help us down the stretch,” Loyola head coach Naomi Meiburger said.

That was the second connection McKenzie and Ziff had. Earlier in the game McKenzie fed Ziff in the 43rd minute for a goal. McKenzie ran into the left corner and crossed the ball into the box, where she found Ziff. Ziff spun around her defender and finished the ball inside the far post.

“They are both goal scorers and it’s always great to have two on a team,” Meiburger said. “Having two goal scorers is a really good threat for us to have right now.”

Just a few moments before McKenzie’s game-winner the two nearly connected on a different goal. Ziff laid the ball out to McKenzie, who was running onto the pass. However, she dribbled it into Mids goalkeeper Dayton Wetherby from the right side.

It was that mistake not shooting the ball earlier that McKenzie said she has to “redeem” herself from and she capitalized the second time with the game-winner.

Loyola held a 1-0 lead with the clock winding down in regulation, but with less than six minutes remaining the Mids broke through and tied the game.

Clare Macadam was stuck at the top of the semi-circle with a Loyola defender on her. She was trying to turn, but couldn’t without risking having the ball stolen away. That left her with one option; to push the ball up a few feet to Cadie Higginson, but instead of moving the ball out to the wing to anybody else, Higginson lobbed a shot toward the goal. It appeared to be headed off the mark but dropped perfectly into the top corner of the goal.

Loyola goalkeeper Sumer Rah was seemingly caught off-guard with the shot. She moved over and stuck an arm up, but it was still out of her reach.

Navy had another opportunity to score late in the second half but giving up that late goal did not sink Loyola. The showed their resolve as they closed out regulation and won the game in the second overtime period.

“We just had to keep playing; just trying to keep composed,” Meiburger said. “They (Navy) were pressing a lot in the second half. Obviously being down a team is always going to throw more numbers forward and I thought we dealt with their pressure pretty well. … They got their goal and we bounced back and finished at the end.”

The victory was the first against Patriot League heavyweight Navy in nine tries and first since 1994. Loyola moved into sole possession of third place in the Patriot League with the victory after two games. They will make a short trip down to Washington DC to play American on Wednesday before returning home for another conference game against Boston University on Oct. 1 at 2:30 pm.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Latest posts by Corey Johns (see all)

Comments are closed.