Breaking News:

So Much Sports Baltimore has officially shut down on August 7, 2017, but would like to thank all of our readers, writers and everybody who helped make this website possible.

Blue Jays defense locks down, shut out Mules, 2-0

Led by senior centerback Adrienne Johnson, the Blbue Jays earned their first shutout since opening weekend, blanking Centennial Conference foe Muhlenberg, 2-0.

Led by senior centerback Adrienne Johnson, the Blbue Jays earned their first shutout since opening weekend, blanking Centennial Conference foe Muhlenberg, 2-0.

A point was made by the Johns Hopkins women’s soccer team to come out and get their first shutout since the opening weekend of the season and it really helped them achieve that after getting a pair of early goals. After scoring two goals in the first 20 minutes of the game the back line was able to tighten up more with help from the midfield and they earned a 2-0 victory over Centennial foe Muhlenberg.

“It was really big for us mentally [to get a shutout], senior defender Adrienne Johnson said. “Going through the past couple games we let down after the second half and today we came out with the determination to not let them score any goals.”

Johnson admitted that in previous games it was their own errors that led to opposing teams scoring late goals; whether it was falling out o formation, not getting back in transition or not holding their line. This game she said they “really made it point to keep the communication up and to be focused the entire time.”

And it helped getting the early goals.

It only took the Blue Jays into the ninth minute before they scored. Junior forward Bailey Monaco to tripped up by a Mules defender while moving into the box from the right side. That signaled a whistle for a penalty kick and Van de loo lined up and smoothly converted her fifth goal of the season.

JHU had multiple chances to score in the first half. In the 11th minute sophomore forward Kristen Hori played the ball up the left wing. On a harsh angle she sent the ball down the goal line. Van de loo ran to the near post but the ball rolled past the end line and hit the post before she could get control of it.

Not even a minute later Hori served another dangerous ball toward in front of the goal from the left side. The ball missed Ana Benogeochea, but the two did connect in the 20th minute for a score. Hori headed the ball forward into the box and Bengoechea finished with a shot to the right side.

“[Getting the two early goals] calms things down defensively,” Johnson said. “We get into our groove. Once we scored the two goals we knew what we had to do to keep the pressure up defensively.”

Between JHU’s goals Muhlenberg had an opportunity for a score. The Mules were awarded a penalty kick but Carly DeNigris didn’t test Blue Jays goalkeeper Bess Kitzmiller much. She sprawled just to her right to top the shot with little movement.

That was one of only two Mulhenberg shots on goal in the first half. The other was a hard-angle shot in the final minute that did not test Kitzmiller much.

JHU had a shot by Adrienne Johnson saved in the 28th minute. Alexa Rangecroft shit the cross bar in the 33rd minute. The ball bounced cown and to the foot of Van de loo, but her follow-up shot was also saved by Mules goalkeeper Libby Juliano. Van de loo had another shot saved in the 44th minute. In transition after Mulhenberg’s second shot, Carli Lupton-Smith served a ball up at the goal when it appeared the play was dead after a tough Mules defensive effort, but her bll hit the cross bad. It went straight down but Juliano grabbed it right away before anybody could capitalize on the loose ball.

The second half was more of the same dominant possession by the Blue Jays.

The Blue Jays allowed only two shots after halftime. For the game they out-shot Muhlenberg 28-5.

In the 55th minute Monaco ripped an attempt wide and a minute later Sophie Murphy had a shot blocked by the Miles defense. That block earned the Blue Jays a corner kick. Bengoechea sent the ball into the box and found the head of Murphy, but Juliano grabbed the ball in the air.

Monaco had another shot saved by Juliano in the 61st minute.

The Mules lone shot in the second half came in the 68th minute but Kitzmiller grabbed the ball played by Alyssa Rose. That preserved the shutout and the Blue Jays defense prevented the Mules of getting any other opportunities.

JHU had chances to extend their lead, but were unable to put the ball in the back of the net. Their best chance to add to the score was in the 86th minute. Van de loo ripped a shot to the top right corner of the goal. Juliano was able to jump and push the ball back past the goal. JHU had a corner kick to follow, and Van de loo got her head on the corner kick, but that went wide.

“[Getting a shutout was] very important for us right now because we’ve only had one all year and we’ve been giving up goals late in game,” head coach Leo Weil said. “It was just unfortunate that we couldn’t get that third goal, which would have made life a lot easier, but I’m please we got the shutout.”

The victory was JHU’s second shutout of the year and first since they beat Roankoe 3-0 on Sept. 4. They improved to 2-0 in Centennial Conference play. They will make a short trip to Stevenson for a Tuesday game before going to Swarthmore next weekend. They won’t return home until Oct. 5 when they host Franklin & Marshall.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Latest posts by Corey Johns (see all)

Comments are closed.