Breaking News:

So Much Sports Baltimore has officially shut down on August 7, 2017, but would like to thank all of our readers, writers and everybody who helped make this website possible.

WNE nets late goal to sink Mustangs

Stevenson MLAX

Western New England pulled off a stunning upset over No. 12 Stevenson in a non-conference game on Saturday night. A goal by Taylor Dubose with 1:45 remaining in the game broke a tie and lifted Golden Bears to an 9-8 victory at Mustangs Stadium.

Though the Mustangs darted out of the gate with a goal by Matt Tompkins in less than a minute, Stevenson started off relatively slow as they produced only two goals in the first half of the game and trailed 4-2 at halftime.

Wade Korvin pitched the ball to Tompkins for the opening score, but Patrick Dillon and Jared Ward responded with back-to-back goals for Western New England to take the lead. Parish Young was able to tie the game with 1:52 remaining in the first quarter on an unassisted effort at the goal. However, Dubose scored with 5.3 seconds left in the frame to give the Golden Bears a lead.

Stevenson’s offense was shut down in the second quarter. They turned the ball over seven times and on their few attempts at the cage, the four that were on target were all stopped by Steven Kerr, the Western New England goalkeeper who finished the game with 13 saves.

Keegan Dudek scored the only goal of the second quarter, which gave Western New England a doubling lead at halftime.

Stevenson finally broke their offense open in the third quarter, netting over half of their goals in the game. Pat Candon scored off the opening face off off a feed from Lito Flanagan and a few minutes later Stephen Banick netted his first of two goals in a man-up situation off a pass from Korvin to tie the game.

Western New England, however got back-to-back goals in quick succession again as Ward and Justin Bard put the Golden Bears back up by two goals with scored just 49 ticks of the clock part.

Three-straight goals by the Mustangs did finally give them their first lead since Tompkins’ early score. Just a minute after Bard scored Wesley Reid netted his first collegiate goal with 6:12 remaining in the third quarter. not even a minute after that Korvin took advantage of a man-up situation following a feed from Banick and then scored another man-up goal off a pass from Young with 1:45 remaining in the third quarter. It completed a four-point game for Korvin, but the lead was very short lived.

Just 32 secods later Dudek tie the game after Tompkins was called for a face off violation and sent to the side for 30 seconds. Stevenson would not lead again as Dudek scored another goal early in the fourth quarter to put the Golden Bears ahead.

Banick did give Stevenson hope with 3:13 remaining in the game when he spun past a defender and found himself all alone with Kerr and beat him to the left to tie the game. Stevenson even won the ensuing face off and Morgan Pritchett ripped off the potential go-ahead goal, but Kerr made the key stop, Western New England cleared the ball and Dubose scored the game-winner.

Western New England won the face off and went a man up after a cross check. Stevenson did force a late turnover an Banick ripped off two shots in the final 15 seconds, but once again Kerr came up huge, stopping his first while the second attempt was blocked.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Latest posts by Corey Johns (see all)

Comments are closed.