Breaking News:

So Much Sports Baltimore has officially shut down on August 7, 2017, but would like to thank all of our readers, writers and everybody who helped make this website possible.

Longs balls and physicality drop Mustangs

Zachary  Martin scored in the second half but Baruch was able to us their physicality to beat the Mustangs.

Zachary Martin scored in the second half but Baruch was able to us their physicality to beat the Mustangs.

Over the course of 90 minutes the Stevenson men’s soccer team out-shot the Baruch Bearcats 19-11 and had more accurate attempts at the goal. But, that did not matter because Baruch goalkeeper Xavier Carrillo was able to make seven saves as the Mustangs fell, 4-2.

In just the 16th minute the Bearcats took the lead when Alexander Marano scored off a cross from Williams Rosales. Stevenson was able to tie the game barely a minute later as Reid Hawkins ripped a penalty kick attempt past Carrillo.

Stevenson stayed aggressive after that but just could not get the ball in the back of the net. Hawkins got free for another shot from the top of the box, but it sailed over the cross bar. Six minutes later, Kevin Benitez had a pair of attempts but both were blocked. First, from the close right wing he took a crack at the goal but a Bearcat defender got in front. A few seconds laterhe got the ball in the box, but that second attempt was blocked too.

Baruch played a very aggressive game and was called for 20 fouls in the contests. That took Stevenson out of a regular rhythm and it eventually led to a goal by the Bearcats. In the 36th minute Stanley Goldberg got the ball and then sent it up the middle of the field to Constantin Meleties. His shot from inside the box went in the goal and gave Baruch the lead, a lead that they were able to hold on to.

The Bearcats took that lead into halftime and not even five minutes out of the break they doubled it. Rashid Allan Morad sent a long ball up the field to Oshae Miller, and his attempt from in the box went inot the goal, giving Baruch a 3-1 lead.

Stevenson’s Zachary Martin did cut the deficit with a goal off an assist from Carmen Caltabiano, but less than three minutes later Diego Alvarado flicked the ball over Mustang goalkeeper Ryan Callinan to secure the 4-2 victory.

Martin and Calvin Granger each led the Mustangs with two shots on goal and Callinan finished with four saves.

Stevenson will remain at home for their next game hen they host Gwynedd Mercy at 4 pm on Sunday.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Latest posts by Corey Johns (see all)

Comments are closed.